At Anadarko, a safety-first culture is a way of life. Adherence to safe-work guidance and practices is a requirement and the way we choose to do business.
As part of its commitment to continual improvement, Anadarko created a dedicated HSE Process Safety team in 2016. This team began to develop processes, procedures, and other tools to identify, assess and mitigate risk around process safety.
Process Safety Program and Progress
In 2016, the Process Safety team developed a succinct “purpose statement,” defining the meaning and benefits of process safety. The team is developing a Communication Strategy and materials to increase awareness across the company of the resources available for support.
The Anadarko Management System (AMS) Level 1 document is the corporate policy document describing the Company’s commitment to process safety. Following the establishment of the Level 1 policy in 2016, the team is focused on developing the subsequent Level 2 and 3 documents for regional support of the Level 1 policy, as follows:
Level 1: a policy that defines the expectations and boundaries for the Company’s activities
Level 2: process or program documents that describe “what happens” within the organization to accomplish the policies
Level 3: procedures or “how-to” step-by-step instructions that implement the programs and processes
Level 4: tools, forms or templates teams develop to fulfill the procedures
Anadarko Management System
A project team comprised of members from all Integrated Asset Teams and Service Groups was formed and is charged with developing, delivering and implementing a single, consistent and standardized Anadarko Management System (AMS) program for the Company.
The AMS Level 1 policy:
- Establishes Anadarko’s commitment to Process Safety by managing operational risk
- Sets the stage for the development of subsequent documents at the integrated asset team level to support the policy
We are using existing AMS documents developed by our operating entities to the extent practicable. The Level 1 document identifies 10 foundational elements, which are used to bolster efforts to assure safe and environmentally competent operations. The Level 1, 2 and 3 documents also provide a roadmap for regulatory compliance.
The objective of the AMS described in the Level 1 document is that we:
- Are committed to managing and operating worldwide assets in a manner that identifies and manages operating risk, and protects the health and safety of employees, contractors, neighboring communities, customers, partners, and the environment
- Are committed to managing and operating worldwide assets in compliance with all applicable health, safety and environmental rules, regulations, and laws
- Developed the AMS because managing operating risks and protecting people and the environment is not just good policy, it is good business
- Built the AMS on Anadarko’s Core Values, Vision, Mission, and Policy Statements and provided the framework tools and direction to meet these commitments
Benefits of a single management system include:
- Using a common nomenclature, terms, methods, and software
- Providing the ability to assess, accept, and aggregate operational risk company-wide
- Enhancing the ability to move people across areas through consistent and more standardized ways of doing business
This company-wide effort will enable us to adopt common processes, procedures and tools where consistency is necessary (or efficiencies can be achieved) across the company.